Thursday 7 August 2014

my capsule wardrobe.

I've been thinking about writing this post for a little while now, after seeing a couple of capsule wardrobe videos on YouTube. They didn't quite hit the mark for me, so I decided to create my own version.

I wouldn't say it was a wardrobe for any season in particular, these are just basics that I like to have all year round. I've tried to limit myself to 12 items, but this does includes shoes as well... And I've decided not to include accessories, as it would have just become a massive long post. So here we go...


1. Blue Jeans





I literally could not be without my blue skinny jeans at the moment, I pretty much live in them.
There are two pairs that I wear day in day out and they're both Jamie jeans from Topshop. The fit of jeans is so important... I used to be a Baxter girl, but I went to a Topshop Personal Stylist appointment once and tried these on, I've never looked back :) I don't know about you, but I hate trying on jeans, so I was mega chuffed.

The ripped jeans were a purchase from Depop, once I'd fallen in love with my original Jamie's... I knew I wanted another pair. I think I paid £15 for these instead of the full £40. I ripped them myself using scissors and a cheese grater. DIY is always better as you can tailor the look and they're also one of a kind.

Jeans can be dressed up or dressed down, depending on the look you are going for. You could pair them with a simple white t-shirt and flats for a daytime look then add a blazer and swap the flats for heels for an evening look.


2. Coated Skinnies



These are my version of black trousers because I loathe trying on black trousers even more than I loathe trying on jeans. Again, they never fit properly and I am a person with very little patience haha. I found them on a chance outing to River Island in Newcastle instead of training, the day before I did the Great North Run. They don't sell them any more, but these ones from Topshop look fairly similar.

I kid you not, I have worn these to death. Granted, I don't wear them so much in the warmer weather... It may be TMI but the slightest hint of sunshine and they begin to stick to my backside... And seen as it's been so sunny over the last couple of months they haven't really been out. But I'm starting to think about transitional dressing before AW sets in, so these will definitely be coming out again.

I normally wear a long top with these to cover the dreaded VPL, but I thought I would photograph them in full especially for you guys!
Again, paired with flats they look nice and casual but add a pair of heels and some statement accessories and they become the perfect 'night out' trousers.


3. Denim Shorts



I got these recently from New Look to replace an old pair I have that I've just fallen out of love with. The acid style wash on them looks awesome and is just so me. I was a bit of a 90's grunge sort of teenager, so maybe they remind me a little of my youth?!

I know I'm going to get so much wear out of these, as they're a staple piece for me throughout the year.
Denim shorts are great in the summer, paired with some sandals or white trainers... But I also wear them a lot in the winter, always with black tights and black shoes. You have to elongate those legs you know, especially when you have little ones like me!


4. Little Black Dress



I absolutely adore this black dress. Gareth bought it for my birthday for me one year.
Whilst it was a bit pricey, as it's from All Saints... I think it was worth every penny. I literally feel like a million dollars when I wear it, it just hugs my curves in all the right places.
As it's quite stretchy, I know it will always fit me... Even when I overindulge a little too much #oops

I've worn it both dressed up and dressed down... For a wedding with my Louboutins and classic Chanel handbag and for dinner out in Paris with a leather jacket, a satchel and flat boots for the long and lovely walk home.
It's pretty versatile and I think it's worth investing the time and money to find a black dress that you will have for a long time. I think Zara do some similar and classic styles if you're not having much luck.


5. Black Blazer



In my opinion, a fitted black blazer is a real essential. If there's one jacket you buy... Make it this one. It can dress up the most casual of outfits in an instant and works both day and night.

I'm slightly ashamed to say I've bought two of these... It's a H&M bargain! I wore the first one out and just couldn't live without it and I haven't found anything that fits as well at a similar price point.
I couldn't find an exact match, but this one is pretty similar.

 I especially like the pockets on blazers... Sometimes when I'm having a sore back day and don't feel like traipsing around with a massive piece of handbag arm candy, the pockets are a godsend. I normally wear mine during the day, as my leather jacket is the one I take on nights out... Keep reading!


6. Leather Jacket



My leather jacket is again another well worn piece. This one is a slightly cropped, faux leather one from Topshop. I found one online and it's very similar, if not even the same one.
I'm lusting over a real leather one though... Maybe from All Saints or Zara. I'd definitely get my cost per wear down over time  *major justification for spending a fortune*

Anyway, I've paired my jacket here with a simple white t-shirt, denim shorts and sandals. This is a favourite look of mine as it's very laid back and feels very Blondie / rock chick esque. It's a great summers evening outfit as the jacket keeps me warm but the outfit is still summery.
At the other end of the spectrum, I'm often seen wearing this jacket with a very girly A-line skirt, crop top and heels... So it's for sure a versatile item.


7. White T-Shirt



This has fast become my holy grail white t-shirt. I've even bought a second white one and a grey one... I'm just awaiting that lovely package to be delivered! It's from Topshop, but unfortunately the white ones have literally just gone out of stock. You can still get the grey and black ones though.
The fit on it is great and the material is so soft, I've found it's got a couple of holes in it already through from just washing, which is a little disappointing. But I'm happy to live with that as the t-shirt is so great.

I can't say much more about it other than it is most definitely a basic staple and you shouldn't be without one!


8. White Shirt



Again, another basic staple which no wardrobe should be without. This one is quite fitted, it's from Ralph Lauren but I bought it at their outlet in Bicester Village so it was very affordable.
I often wear it with jeans and slippers, my ultimate smart casual outfit. Paired with a chunky boyfriend watch and a nice handbag, it's a very classic outfit... I feel very grown up in it!

In the photos above I put on a pair of nude wedges instead of my usual flat slippers and instantly looked more dressy, so it would be a great outfit for dinner out. I'd like to get some pointed black court shoes in my wardrobe, I think they would look very chic with this.

I'm planning another trip to Bicester soon as I'm on the hunt for a more oversized and baggy white shirt that I can wear in more casual looks. Maybe with sandals and turned up jeans... Stay posted for that outfit soon on my #meganecopeootd series on Instagram.


9. Black Cami



This black cami is from River Island and I only purchased it fairly recently, but I've worn it quite a lot. I've just had a weeks holiday in Suffolk with the family and the weather was beautiful... So it was perfect to just throw on with a pair of shorts and a kimono.
I like the detailing around the bust and also the deep V at the back.

The one thing I would say is that due to my slightly larger boobs, I have to wear a strapless bra with this. I hate seeing really thick bra straps under the delicate spaghetti straps of the top, I just don't think it's a good look... But strapless bras for me are a nightmare.
They always slip down and feel uncomfortable. The one I've got on here is a Wonderbra and was quite pricey, but it's not the most comfortable and tends to pinch around my back.
So if anybody has any tips on comfortable strapless bras... Please let me know :)


10. Sandals




I love these sandals :) They were this seasons from ASOS. They're in the sale at the moment and there are a few sizes left, have a nosey here... At a mere £16, I think they're a bit of a bargain as the gold detailing make them look much more pricey.
The straps are elasticated, so they're so comfy and I've done my fair share of walking in them so they're well tested out.

They look great with dresses, shorts and jeans... But I'm not sold on pairing them with my ripped jeans. It just looks like there is a bit too much going on. Maybe too many stripes?!


11. Flats



I love a good pair of slippers, they are so easy to wear and effortlessly smart. Again, I liked these ones from Zara because of the gold detailing on them. Also the fact that Zara slippers have a good sole and are fairly sturdy and hardwearing.

I bought these on Depop and they were a bargain at £10. I couldn't find an exact match, but there's a simlar pair here.

I wear them mostly with jeans and a t-shirt as a smart casual look, but they go equally as well with shorts or a dress if you want a smart but comfy shoe.


12. Heels



These are from a few seasons ago at New Look and are actually my second pair. I wore the first pair to death as they are literally so comfy. I was browsing Depop a couple of months ago and found them again, so had to buy them :)

I've had so many compliments from people and they always ask where I got them. Unfortunately I can't find anything similar, but New Look have some very afordable nude wedges, so go check them out.

I wear these with jeans, shorts and dresses. They are a great night out shoe as they make my legs look amazing. As they are nude, they elongate my legs so much, especially if I am wearing shorts or a dress.
The wedge and platform mean they aren't ridiculously high, even though they look it, and are still comfy.
If you can find a pair of neutral wedges, I'd highly recommend investing in them.



So there you have it, my capsule wardrobe in a mere twelve pieces. It's very monochrome because I just love me some black and white... But I like to inject colour with my nails, sunglasses, jewellery and bags.
Is there anything you think I'm missing here and need to invest it? Any excuse for some extra shopping!


Hope you enjoyed it.


Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment